Pivot Point

Pivot Point - (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot)Let me start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was a pretty quick read and I was flipping through the pages very fast without ever having the feeling that I was missing something. It was not at all what I was expecting, but it was definitely a good book and I cannot wait for the sequel! But it was not perfect.In the world of main character Addie, there's a hidden town where people with paranormal abilities live. Addie herself has the rare ability to see the future as a Searcher, which means she can see the different outcomes of the choices she has to make. This book is the example of such a Search: Addie leads two different lives, which we follow in alternating chapters. I had no idea how West was going to handle mixing the two lives Addie leads, but she did a very good job. The concept itself (a so-called sliding doors effect) is so unique and unlike anything I've ever read before! I loved the way the two stories came together and had so many similarities, and yet so many differences. To me, this was what made the novel stand out. There was one quote in the book that I felt described best how Addie's ability worked *.When it comes to the writing, this book is very character-based. West doesn't spend a lot of time describing the surroundings and background of the characters, and all the more time on conversations and actions. This was what made this book a very quick read, and I especially loved getting to know Addie. She was a bit flat to me at first, but I'm glad she got more depth as the story progressed, especially when the feelings she had about her ability were described.But the thing I don't really like about character-driven novels is that it lacks explanation on the background. Personally, I would've loved a little more knowledge on the Compound and how it came together and who makes the decisions, and also some more information on the different abilities people had and how exactly they worked. (Because at the start of this story I was like YAY SUPERPOWERS, but I was a little disappointed at the lack of explanation.) I hope the next book in this series gives us more of that.Also, there was a moment where I just felt like writing the book off. If I could, I would split this novel in two different parts and review them seperately. Because if I could, I would say that the first 70% was enjoyable, but never overruled me like I had expected it to. It focused mostly on Addie's life in alternate timelines and the romances that came along with it, and not at all on the thrilling and very difficult choice Addie had to make. To be honest, I didn't like Addie at first. It took me a long time to get used to her, and the other characters as well. But the thing that made me give this book 5 stars on Goodreads, was the ending. Because OH MY GOD.I wish the first part of the book had the action and thrilling twists of the last part, and a little less of a cliche focus (football, mostly). But though the first part of the novel wasn't my favorite, the ending sure as hell made up for it. Trust me, you want to read this book for the ending alone. There's a Revelation with a capital R, that made me shiver and even scream a little. And then I had a dream about it. Seriously, SO GOOD!* "One person can't change the future. Do you know how many people and things are involved in every major event that happens? Sure, you might be able to change some of the minor aspects of a day, but ultimately things that are going to happen, if you go along a certain path, do happen."