The Host: A Novel

The Host - Stephenie Meyer 2.5 stars: It was acceptableFull review can be found here!I read this book a long time ago and had actually sort of forgotten about it, but the movie trailer caught my attention, so I thought I'd share my thoughts anyway. I read this book in my Twilight fan time (I think I was fifteen) and it was not what I was expecting at all. Concept wise, this story is so much more intruiging than the entire Twilight series put together, but execution wise? I found it difficult to get through.I sort of liked this book. Liked it, but I didn't love it. The world Meyer created was really interesting. I loved the parts where Wanda shared her experiences from other plants she'd lived on, and the different beings she had lived as. There are some interesting topics besides that, like what it means to be human and how we should change our ways of living to be worthy of this planet. But then came the characters...The main character, Wanderer/Wanda, is one of the alien souls that spends their multiple lives travelling to different worlds to inhibite the bodies of other beings and make every world in the universe better. But on Earth, the girl whose host body Wanda is using refuses to let her body be taken over. That could've worked out really well. However, Wanda is incredibly sweet, caring, genuinely interested in helping other worlds and inhabitants of those worlds... As a role model, that's great, but as a character she fell flat. Honestly, she annoyed me. I couldn't connect with her, and that's really important to me in a book.I didn't like Jared or Ian. In my opinion, there is no need for teams in this book. Both were big, strong, and balancing on the thin line between controlling and abusive. I couldn't care for either of them. And yes, I have to say it: what's up with teenage girls and grown men, Stephenie Meyer?! Are you trying to send a signal here? AND HONESTLY! Another love triangle?! Twilight already ruined those for me, but where is the originality?Melanie, on the other hand, I sort of liked. Yes, her relationship with Jared was strange. But Melanie was a fighter, someone who didn't just let some alien species take over her mind and someone who fought as hard as she could to protect her loved ones. Those are my favorite kinds of characters.But what I disliked most was the build-up. The first few chapters were incredibly slow, and those were not the only ones where I felt my attention slipping away during this 600-paged novel. I also felt like punching Stephenie Meyer sometimes. There aren't enough meaningful events to be worthy of a book that long. What a waste of such a creative plot idea (and my time)! Here are three things that could've (and should've!) been better executed:1. The whole conflict between Wanda and Melanie! That annoyed me a lot. What is being described in the summary as a heavy internal conflict between two dominant souls, is in fact Wanda waving the white flag after a few minutes. That's not a story! That's not even a struggle.2. The characters. Again, the girls should've been a lot more independent and the guys should've been a lot more realistic. Not everyone needs an Edward Cullen, and NOT every book needs a love triangle.3. The souls' backstory. I don't remember much of it, but I do know that I had so many questions left after reading. How can you have 600+ pages and STILL have questions? It shouldn't be possible.I've read so many reviews of people raving about this book, but honestly? I don't see it. The build-up was too long and I didn't like the characters at all. Kudos for coming up with a world like this, but I the only way that I could've liked this novel was if it had been half as long. Maybe in 300 pages, I wouldn't have felt the urge to skip ten pages a chapter. I never ever say this, but I think the movie looks better. There's probably enough plot for 90 minutes.