Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - 5 starsView full review here!Note: This book is part of a series. Please be aware that this review may contain spoilers from the previous book(s). If you have not read the previous book(s) and intend to do so, I suggest that you do not read this review.Can I just take a second to say AAAAHHHHHH!!!!Okay. That's done. Moving on.If you've read my review of Divergent you know that I thought it was the best dystopian novel since The Hunger Games. It was, and still is, the best book I've read this year. I read it in less than two days, because I could not put it down, not even to sleep. So naturally, my expectations for INSURGENT were REALLY high. And oh yes, it did match my expectations. And yet it wasn't anything like I'd expected it to be.INSURGENT takes on right where Divergent leaves off, but somewhere between the books the mood has changed. Divergent was a struggle, but that's nothing compared to how Tris feels now. Because, honestly, she's a mess. She lost some of the people that were the most important to her and that doesn't go without impact. I know some people who thought this book was very depressing, but I sort of liked the emotional battle. This book was definitely a lot darker and it was heartbreaking and, yes, somewhat depressing at times, but at the same time it was so realistic. It made me remember that Tris is also just human. She still makes mistakes. I loved the character growth in this book! It was such an important part of the story.Where I absolutely adored Tris and Four in the first book, they were on a bit of a rough path here. The city is in chaos and that has taken it's toll on both of them. They're struggling. But it was also neccessary. It made their relationship so much more realistic and relatable. I still love the both of them and I love how they love each other (especially Four! He is just so sweet and though he's not perfect, he loves Tris so much it makes everything he does better.). Unline Divergent, the romance is a bigger part of the story, because it contains so much of the struggle. (But oh, I love it.)But much like Divergent, the romance didn't take away from the plot. The whole city of Chicago is in chaos and the factions are going out of their mind. There's mystery and conspiracies and a constant search between what is logically right and what feels right, who to trust and who not to trust. As for that, Roth constantly led me astray. There were so many twists and turns and so much going on, not only with Tris, but also with the side characters. There definitely were some "WHAT?!" moments in this book!So, something about the plot. The main focus of INSURGENT is a piece of information that Jeanine from Erudite, after the attack on Abnegation, now owns. As the story goes on, Tris learns that it's something that will change everything they are and every belief they hold. The information is released at the end of the book and it's just... BOOM! Wow. Now that we're talking about the ending, might I just say: really, really, REALLY bad cliffhanger! Aaahhh. I finished this book a couple of days ago and I'm still somewhat hungover. (So if my review is incoherent at some points, you know where that comes from.) Dear Veronica Roth, please write fast! I need to know what happens!!INSURGENT doesn't have the same amount of 'real' (Dauntless) action as Divergent, but at the same time there's still so much going on and there's a lot of movement between the factions and places in the city. I personally loved seeing more of the other factions and learning about the structure of the city. And even with all the struggle, Veronica Roth's writing is so fast-paced and I just couldn't stop reading. I still can't stop thinking about it.Memorable quotes"We both have war inside us. Sometimes it keeps up alive. Sometimes it threatens to destroy us.""It reminds me why I chose Dauntless in the first place: not because they are perfect, but because they are alive. Because they are free.""I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along."