Unearthly (Unearthly Series #1)

Unearthly (Unearthly Series #1) - (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)First thoughts:What?! Did I doubt this book before? I didn't doubt this book! Obviously. BRILLIANT ENDING!More thoughts:I have been trying to write this review for three days. I honestly don't think I've ever had such a hard time trying to find words to describe how I felt about a book. So let me start simple: I really enjoyed this book. Cynthia Hand's writing is fresh and, though the story itself isn't fast-paced in particular, so easy to read that I flipped through the pages very quickly. I was never bored. I never wanted to put it down. And yet, the entire time I was reading I felt like there was something missing. Something I still can't quite put my finger on. But let's save that for later.In many ways, Unearthly felt like a contemporary novel. While the story obviously revolves around angels, that didn't take away any of the contemporary aspects and probably even added to the way the story progressed. The reader is introduced to the paranormal world bit by bit, and even then it's never more prominent than the other aspects, which makes me quite certain that even non-paranormal fans will enjoy Clara's story. Yes, the girl is part angel, but also just a regular teenage girl with mood swings and rebellious moments. I could relate to her very well and I actually have high expectations for the development of her character in Hallowed and Boundless.What drew me in personally were the side characters. Clara was a wonderful protagonist, but I loved the big part her family plays in this story. Her mother is amazing and is very involved in her children's life. Even though she has kept certain things hidden from her kids, she truly wants to do whatever it takes to protect them. And Jeffrey! Now I have two brothers and I remember quite a lot of fights when we were younger, but no matter what happened, we always had each others backs. Eventually we even grew out of it and now have an amazing bond, and I think it's the same for Clara and Jeffrey.I think what I liked most about the romance was that it was mixed into the story so perfectly. It wasn't something you could just take out, since both guys had an essential part in the story. (Christian as the guy that was important to Clara's angel future, and Tucker for making the eventual plot so much more complicated.) Both this and the fact that both guys were just so good to Clara made me love this love triangle. Though, if I am honest, I don't really feel anything for Christian at this point. He's too perfect. I love Tucker a whole lot, you guys. I'm not usually into cowboys, but... come on. Tucker was just adorable.I don't even know what it is that made me a little hesitant about this book. There is a certain something that didn't speak to me. I guess I wanted some more information about the angel mythology, since that world intrigued me a lot. We got some, and I understand that it's not just an average paranormal topic - it needs more build-up. I'm just not entirely content with the paranormal aspect so far. However, the characters and romance were very good, and the ending sure made up for some of my earlier doubts. I hope Hallowed will give me more answers, but I'm definitely looking forward to reading it!