Collector (Dante Walker Novel)

The Collector - Victoria Scott (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot)First thoughts3 stars? 2 stars? 2.5 stars? I don't even know what to think of this book.More thoughtsI have been at loss for words before. I have had trouble writing reviews before. Well, forget about that. I have NEVER been this confused about a book before. Not only did I have no idea what to think of the story while reading it, but I have been staring at my computer screen for at least an hour now. Brain, where did you go?! My lack of words doesn't mean that this book didn't make me feel anything by the way - oh no, I definitely felt something. For the first hundred pages or so, I hated the main character with a passion. Thank goodness it got better, but just a little, and by far not enough to make me really like it. So I'm sorry if this review is a) a bit of a rant, and b) very incoherent. I tried my best.Because what do you do when a book revolves mostly (and maybe only) about one character, and you end up disliking that certain character - a lot? Dante Walker is a collector of souls who works for the devil. According to some people, he was a badass. To me, he was just an ass. And for the first 200 pages, I hated him something fierce. However, I wouldn't do him justice if I didn't mention that his character development was really well done. It was subtle, and though I was expecting it, I liked it. With the revelation of his background and cause of death, I started to appreciate his growth. But that doesn't mean that I forgive him for how he went on and on about how ugly Charlie was! No, I don't get the fangirling.But as much as I hated Dante at first (and grew to sort of accept him eventually), at least he made me feel something. Like with Dante, I could not really connect with the rest of the characters, but for a different reason entirely. I wish I could have cared for the side characters, but to be honest they were just... bland. I was mostly disappointed by Charlie, who was supposed to be a key character - the one who changes everything! - but didn't have any growth whatsoever. I like that there was a reason behind her goodness and that she was meant to play a bigger part in everything, but she lacked depth and personality. And to be honest, I can't remember the names of her friends. Needless to say that I wasn't interested in them at all.Unfortunately, with me not caring for most characters, the plot didn't capture me like it could have. There was some mystery to why Dante was assigned to collect Charlie's soul and why he had trouble doing that. And yes, there was a moment that I was quite interested in the whole collector/liberator thing. But I can't stop thinking that it could have been so much better if Charlie herself had been more interesting - and Dante less annoying. With a main character I disliked, side characters I didn't care for, a plot that didn't capture me like it could have, but also with a fast-pacing, nicely done main character development and some mystery, I think you get why I'm confused about this book. But overall, The Collector was just fairly average for me, and I think I will forget about it soon.