Golden

Golden - Jessi Kirby (As reviewed on Paper Riot.)First thoughtWhat. A. Book.More thoughtsWhen I was in a bit of a reading funk, Debby recommended that I read this book and she said that it was the kind of book that made you remember why you love reading. I could sum up this entire review up with that one line. Golden by Jessi Kirby reminded me of why I love reading. Why I love words. Why I love books and why good writing is so important to me. From the very first chapter, it was clear to me that this was the right book for me. From a main character I could relate to to a dark and haunting background story and from a love story I found refreshing to the way art and poetry played a part in this story, Golden was my kind of book. I also don't think I could ever get enough of teen angst stories.My favorite part of this book was, obviously, the writing. Jessi Kirby has a gift for words and knows exactly how to write another story about finding yourself while making sure it's unlike any other. I also love the way she incorporated poetry in this YA story, because I don't think I've ever seen that before. I have never really read poetry except for some Dutch poems I was not a fan of, but this book made me think that I have been missing out. It was like an avalanche of beautiful words, and I could not get enough of it. I think one of my Goodreads status updates was that I wanted to swim in the words. Which is pretty accurate. I could go on and on about this, but you can also just take a look at the quotes I added below.I also really liked the characters. Parker reminded me a little of who I was in high school, even though we were very different. That sounds weird, I know, but I can't really explain it. I guess it's just her thoughts and actions that reminded me of, well, me. I could completely understand why she held on to a ten year old journal instead of focusing on the things she should have been working on, because it was more important to her for a reason she probably didn't know at first. While I didn't always like the friendship between Parker and Kat while reading, I am a fan of it now. I love when girls have each other's backs, if only because it's so (unnecessarily) rare in YA.Plus, the romance was great. I am not just talking about Parker and Trevor, though I did think that their story was refreshingly real and simple, but also the romance in Julianna's story. The only thing that bothered me was that from the moment I started reading, I knew exactly what was going to happen. With a mystery this intriguing I was hoping for some mind-blowing plot twists that never came. Maybe I'm just getting better at figuring books out, but there were no surprises for me in this book, and I was a little disappointed. Still, Golden is a book I loved and one I am happy to recommend to everyone who likes teenage angst and beautiful words and haunting mystery.