The Adoration of Jenna Fox

The Adoration of Jenna Fox - Mary E. Pearson 2 starsFull review can be found here!I wanted to love this book. The concept sounded like something I would love. Jenna Fox has been in a coma for a year and wakes up knowing nothing about herself: not who her parents are, not who her friends are - and not who Jenna Fox is. She struggles to assimilate the information about 'her' world. There even is genetic manipulation involved! But no. This book was not for me.The beginning was all right. I liked the mental journey Pearson wrote. I liked getting to know Jenna's past and present and unraveling those secrets with her - but I didn't like Jenna. As a person and character, she felt robotic and flat. As much as I tried and wanted to, I couldn't connect with her. Well-developed characters and especially main characters are very important to me when I read a book, and this set me off completely.I liked Jenna's parents a lot better, even though they are supposed to be the bad guys in this story. No, I didn't like them, I liked the way they were created. I could understand their motives and their love for Jenna, and it annoyed and disgusted me how they did what they did without saying anything about it. I loved them for frustrating me. At least they made me feel something.I didn't mind the darker, almost depressing tone either. This is a sad story. There is hope and love and betrayal. And supposedly mystery. Which is where it went wrong. I wanted to find out what happened to Jenna and I wanted it to be every bit as mysterious and intriguing and mind blowing as some people said it was. But honestly? I didn't see it.I had no problem figuring out what was going on, even though the details were unlike anything I've ever heard. I was hoping for something more. Waiting for something that would blow my mind, something that didn't come. It's a shame, because though I'm terrible at anything that involves science, genetic manipulation always intrigues me. I loved it in Cinder (the cyborg part of it) and Boy 7 (a Dutch book I read a few years ago) but not in this story. It felt forced.And I really hated the epilogue. Just... no. When I was finished I had the feeling that it was a case of "Oh well, let's be done with it". It felt unlogical and rushed. I do like the fact that Mary Pearson mixed some huge life questions through this story: what does it mean to be human? How far would you go to save the people you love? However, the execution just threw me off. Every idea about love and life that I was sort of interested in became fake and vague after reading this.I was disappointed by this book. Not only did I not like the main character and the plot, the pacing was very, very slow. There were some twists in the story, but since they failed to surprise me it all became a bit of a blur. I've read too many similar stories, and this one didn't stand out in the way I hoped it would. Aside from some mildly interesting ideas about futuristic science and technology. I can't see how this is going to be a trilogy. Maybe my expectations were too high.