The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars - John Green 5+ starsView full review here!Even though I own and love every book written by John Green (that's not even entirely true: I don't have Will Grayson/Will Grayson. But I did love it!) I was a bit hesitant to buy The Fault In Our Stars. Yes, the ratings were sky high, over the moon and beyond, but I'm didn't read it for one and one reason only: the main character has cancer. And books where the main character suffers from cancer or another life-threatening disease are undoubtedly the hardest for me to read. As in: bawling-my-eyes-out-and-feeling-depressed-for-weeks-afterwards-hard. Which (strangely enough) doesn't really feel like entertainment to me.I should've known better. John Green never fails to amaze me, with his sense of humor, quick writing and insightful words. However, I'm searching for originality in his stories. John Green writes about characters that are smart beyond their years (which isn't entirely realistic, but I love it), have a sarcastic sense of humor, and go on road trips. It's the same over and over again, and despite the fact that this never bores me, it's quite predictable.A welcome (though depressing) change is that The Fault in Our Stars doesn't revolve around some out-of-this-world teenage girl, with whom the main character falls madly in love. Yes, there is romance, but this novel goes much deeper than a high school crush. This is about life, death, illness, love, loss, and a sixteen-year-old girl who tries to deal with the fact that she will, at some point, die and leave everyone she loves behind. Of all of John Green's books, this feels like the most intimate and also the most heart-breaking.But TFiOS (which, by the way, looks ridiculous) is not depressing. Hazel, whose lungs "suck at being lungs" is refreshingly real, unlike Alaska/Margo/Katherine from the previously mentioned books. She doesn't just stoically accept the fact that she will die, and she doesn't spend her time thinking about life-altering questions, though it's obvious she is very smart. She just likes watching America's Next Top Model, which made her seem more real and relatable than if she would've only spend her time reading 20th century literature and/or poetry.The book isn't romanticized either. There's nothing good or pleasant about cancer, and Green doesn't try to hide that fact. It's awful and terrible and ugly at times. But Hazel and Augustus aren't defined by their cancer. It consumes their lives, but doesn't define their personalities. I love how they were joking, in trying to find a way to cope with their illness without being depressed."The world is not a wish-granting factory."I don't like revealing spoilers, but I have to say the ending was predictable. BUT while I was reading, I kept hoping for a different conclusion. Oh well what do you expect with a book like this? Yes, at the end I was crying so hard I could've drowned my book, but Oh My God. I loved it!"I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, then all at once."