Delirium (Delirium Series #1)

Delirium - Lauren Oliver (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)In a sentence: I was afraid the hype had gotten to me, but then I slowly fell in love.Reading this book was like getting to know a new friend: you're excited to meet them, but it's awkward at first, and you're not sure this person is going to end up being important to you. You see all the things that you don't like about them and you have the feeling they're never going to replace the friends you already have, the ones you share a history with. But then, slowly, gradually, you get to know them and see things you didn't before. You know what they like, and you know why they act the way they do. And then, suddenly, you understand them so well that you can't remember not being friends with them anymore.The first time I read this book I didn't know how to possibly express what I felt in words. Now that I've re-read it, the words are slightly coming back to me, so I'll try to share my thoughts in the best way possible. It was no insta-love for me. I was afraid that the hype had gotten to me and my expectations were too high. The story appealed to me, but I felt no connection to Lena and the other characters at all.But both the first and second time I've read Delirium, my affection grew while reading. With every chapter, we understand more of Lena's background and Hana's motives, we get more information on the world-building and the exact philosophy that caused the fear of deliria. With every new piece of information I got more eager and enthusiastic, because everything slowly began to fall into place. The end left me fully satisfied and with nothing but respect and admiration for Lauren Oliver's brilliant storytelling.Since I had huge issues with Lena at first, getting to know her was most intriguing: I love the way Oliver mixed parts of her present life and memories of her upbringing together to a well worked-out, likeable and still relatable main character. It was something I didn't see coming before, and therefore something that surprised me. And Lauren Oliver is GOOD at surprises! There were some mind-blowing twists and turns, and a Cliffhanger with a capital C. Though I don't usually like cliffhangers, this one was brilliant! It broke my heart a little, but I was smiling because it was so unexpected. Readers will HAVE to read on after finishing this book.I'd heard many things about Lauren Oliver's writing before, and I quite enjoyed it the first time, but I fell in love with it upon re-read. Her poetic phrases and the mix of action and background information blend together very well and create a beautiful story. I was very pleased when I finished. This book will appeal to all fans of dystopias or great love stories, and it's definitely a must-read for every YA reader.