The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, & June - Robin Benway (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)First thoughts:Are all Robin Benway books like this? Because if they are, GIMME!More thoughts:I have been recommended Robin Benway's books before. I have been told they are adorable. I have been told they would make me feel warm and fuzzy. I have been told they would make me smile - no, laugh out loud (snort, even). Did I like the sound of that? Hell yes. In my search for a book by this author I found out that people love both Audrey, Wait! and Also Known As. But of course, my library only had the only book I knew absolutely nothing about, and that was The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June. Was this a bad thing? Absolutely not. To everyone who recommend that I read a Robin Benway book: thank you. You were right.Now, if you're looking for a book with a difficult storyline, this isn't your thing. The plot was pretty straight-forward and the mystery didn't blow my mind or take over my life. But this was never an issue for me. Because The Extraordinary Secrets is like a feel-good movie, a catchy pop song, a sugar rush. It was cute and adorable and hilarious and yes, it did make me snort with laughter. But it also felt special in a different way, a way I think only siblings can really understand. I have two younger brothers myself (and boy, do we fight a lot) and I saw so much of my family (and myself) in April, May and June's relationship. I was intrigued by their dynamics and impressed by how well Benway was able to describe it.One of the best things about this book is the way Benway created three characters that were equally loveable and quirky, and yet outstanding and hilarious in their own way. What I really liked was how well their powers fit their personalities. April, the oldest, is organized, protective and slightly bossy. She reminded me most of myself, probably. May is a bit of a loner, but she's sarcastic, sassy and smart and knows exactly what she wants. And all June, the youngest, wants is to grow up, though she is so young and innocent in her behavior still. She reminded me a bit of a puppy sometimes. Told through very distinctive voices in alternating chapters, it was easy to tell these sisters apart, but love them all no matter what. I had the best time following them as they tried to figure out their sudden powers, and grew closer in the process.However, I had some issues with the way the author handled the supernatural part. Though these powers were used as a less important plot device, there was some information that could have been very important, but disappeared as the story continued. I would have preferred that the information about where their powers came from had been left out completely, or come back in the end. It felt like something that was left unfinished and this made the ending feel a bit rushed for me. But all in all, I completely, thoroughly enjoyed this book. The writing style was hilarious, the characters quirky and loveable, the plot very entertaining and most of all, the sisterly bond was touching.Definitely read this book if you a) are in need of a light, cute read, b) are not a big fan of the supernatural, but would like to try it still, c) have a couple of siblings you can't help but love, or d) all of the above. I promise you that you won't be disappointed. As for me, I can't wait to read more Robin Benway books, because if they're anything like this book, I am 100% sure that I will love them.