I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Series #1)

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies Series #1) - (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)This is the first alien book I have ever read. But if all alien books are like this one, it definitely won't be the last. This was one of those stories I truly lived for a while, one I became obsessed with for a while. I was so intrigued by Lorien and what it offered that I loved everything about this book. The second time I read it, I was more critical. There were chapters that slow-paced and very hard to get through. I didn't mind putting it down for a while. But being both action packed and incredibly detailed, I Am Number Four is still an amazing start of a hopefully equally amazing series. I Am Number Four is about John Smith, the fourth of nine children from a planet called Lorien, who fled to Earth after their planet was attacked by creatures from another planet, the Mogadorians. The nine have to find a way to beat the Mogadorians to get their planet back, but they are young and unprepared, so they need to train seperately. But the Mogadorians know where they are and they track them down one by one to kill them. The first three are dead. John is next. But he's tired of running and he settles down in a town called Paradise, where, for the first time in his life, he makes friends. But, of course, it's just a matter of time before his secret is revealed and they come for him...This world created by John Frey and Jobie Hughes is one of those in which EVERYTHING seems possible. A bunch of aliens? Sure. Couple of bad guys? Why not. Oh, and don't let the humans notice anything! When authors can create a world that unpredictable and unreal, and still make it feel realistic, I am impressed. When I read the first book, I became obsessed with this world where suddenly the possible existence of aliens didn't seem so silly anymore. Not only was this story exciting and action-packed, but it was also touching. I felt sorry for John, who couldn't have a normal childhood, but instead had to live in fear every day, waiting on an almost inevitable very soon death.One thing I particularly liked (as interested in Lorien as I was) was how the romance was slightly more in the background. That only added to the story. Even when your not a fan of science fiction, or fantasy for that matter, this book is amazing for readers of YA and contemporary fiction. Because when it comes down to it, John is just a kid who's had a rough life and who's trying to fit in. He makes mistakes, learns about friendship and love, and tries to figure out who he is. (But, you know, you can't really ignore that fact that they are aliens. That's kind of a major thing.)