Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - 4.5 stars(Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)"A Cinderella book with robots and cyborgs and people who live on the moon in futuristic China." Can you imagine people's reaction when you tell them what you're reading? That's exactly what Cinder is, though. A lot to take in. It could have been too much. But thanks to Marissa Meyer's brilliant storytelling, it never felt like it. This Cinderella retelling has completely blown me away. Not only is it unlike anything I've ever heard before, but Meyer's world building is so detailed and skillfully created that I couldn't help but fall in love with it.I did have to get into it at first, because as you can tell, there is a lot to get used to. There was no immediate explanation of the world and since it's so different from our own in every way, I was a bit overwhelmed. But man, am I glad that I kept on reading! Because where the world building took me some getting used to, I loved Cinder immediately. She really was a wonderful protagonist: witty, brave, strong, selfless, and very sweet. Yes, she's a cyborg, but she's also just a girl and an outcast. I loved how passionate she was about the people she loves, and I felt bad for her because her life is so rough. And Cinder wasn't the only character I liked. The supporting characters are amazing. Iko made me laugh out loud quite at times (I remember pearls and red lipstick). Dr Erland was kind of crazy and mysterious, but I couldn't help but adore him. And Peony! Oh, I loved Peony, and I felt so bad for her when she was ill. I even quite understood Adri. Sure, she was awful to Cinder, but it was clear that she's had her own issues. And then we have Kai... you guys, Cinder and Kai were ADORABLE together. I love how their romance was not the fairy tale 'love at first sight', but more slightly built up.I mentioned it before, but I can't say it enough times: the world building was amazing! I loved imagining the city of New Beijing and the palace and just... every bit of it. I love how detailed it was, and I can't wait to see how Meyer is going to mix it with the other fairy tales in her next books. Overall, Cinder was filled with brilliant characters, a fast moving plot and a completely fresh retelling of the classic tale. There was a lot of mystery and so many twists and turns that kept my heart racing. I need Scarlet to be released somewhere RIGHT NOW. I NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS!