The Girl Who Could Fly

The Girl Who Could Fly - Victoria Forester (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)If I would have to describe The Girl Who Could Fly in one word, it would be "adorable". That tends to be my first thought after a lot of middle grade books, but I really don't know how to put it otherwise. I was hooked from the first line and was unable to put it down until I finished. Full of adventure, eccentrism and hope, The Girl Who Could Fly was a sweet story that made me smile, but also one that broke my heart a little. (Okay, a lot.)When Piper McCloud finds out that she can fly, she wants to use her special ability to help people, naïve and innocent as she is, but that's not how it works in Lowland County. She is taken away to a boarding school for super skilled-children and initially, she's very excited. But soon enough, she discovers she school's true agenda. But it's not a story about a flying girl. For Piper, learning to fly was the easy part. The real challenge in this book is making friends, staying true to her principles and surviving a school that is literally INSANE. I really enjoyed this book. The story is quick and funny, well-described but not long-winded, adventurous and touching. Forester has a witty writing style, but then mixes the story with loads of drama and sadness and oh my goodness. If it weren't for Piper, I would have cried. But Piper was such a wonderful protagonist. Innocent and sweet, but also a natural optimist and very brave, she was stronger than I had expected her to be. With Piper, Forester created a character that portrays hope and strength even in the darkest times.Yes, the story was kind of predictable. It's a middle grade book, so I wasn't expecting much more than that. But it was so endearing I smiled and felt sad at the same time. The Girl Who Could Fly is not 'out of this world' brilliant, but it has plenty of magical moments and loop-de-loops to keep me fascinated.