Persistence of Vision: Book 1 of Interchron

Persistence of Vision - Liesel K. Hill (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)I had no idea what to expect from this book, nor did I have any time to get used to that while reading. Persistence of Vision is action-packed from the start, with just few slower moments. Just because I didn't know what exactly would happen, the action overwhelmed me a little. But both this and the fact that the story starts mysteriously drew me in and kept me intrigued.What I enjoyed most in this story was the mystery. In the first chapter, main character Maggie 'loses' twelve hours of her life and wakes up in a hotel room with no clue what happened to her. This fascinated me. I love stories that focus on memory loss, and Hill did a good job building the mystery. Mystery that became even bigger when we came to the time travelling part. I love time travel! Both time travel and mysteriously stolen memories? That could have been terrible, had it been executed in the wrong way. But on the contrary to what I expected, it actually sounded quite... realistic. For time travel to future societies, that is.I was also quite impressed with the world building. I enjoy sci-fi, but I haven't read any that focused on brain functions. And I liked it! It's creepy to know that your brain can easily be exploited, and Hill explored this idea in a good way. Though this book is a mix of various genres (sci-fi, dystopia, fantasy) I never felt like any of it was too much. I even enjoyed the world and its political issues more than anything that involved the characters personally. I was intrigued by the future time and Interchron.However, I did have issues with the characters. It wasn't that they weren't well-written, but I couldn't connect to Maggie or Marcus like I wanted to. If you've read any of my reviews before, you know that this one of the most important things to me in a story. The problem may have been the third person narrative, which make it difficult for me to relate to characters in the same way a first person POV would allow me to. Both Maggie's and Marcus's thoughts were explained clearly, but as much as I knew about them, I didn't feel anything. It was like I was being told what to do and doing it, without having any idea why I was doing it. If you know what I mean. And I do wish we would have gotten to know the minor characters better, because it focused a little too much on the two main characters for me.Persistence of Vision was an enjoyable read. I thought the mystery of Maggie's lost thoughts and the world building were done in a good way, but my troubles with the characters kept me from being truly engaged in the story. It may have been the New Adult thing, or maybe the third person POV, but this was a bit disappointing to me. Despite this, it was a quick read and overall better executed than I thought it would be.