Altered

Altered - Jennifer Rush (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)Do you know that book where everything is one way and then all of a sudden it's not and you're left with pieces of what it was like before and you're unable to put them back together because everything has changed and keeps changing and nothing is ever as it seems and you feel like you're freaking out because you can't trust anything you're reading and then BOOM MAJOR PLOT TWISTS and you can't stop reading because you'll never know what's going to happen next and oh my god you need to know what happens next because it will change your entire opinion of everything? Yeah, that's Altered.My expectations for this book were sky high (it was one of my most anticipated 2013 debuts and also, Amber hasn't been able to stop talking about it since she read it), so I was a little nervous, but I'm glad to say that it was even better than I expected. Altered is mysterious and action packed and unpredictable at all times, and oh mystery, how I love you. The way this story unfolded, the way little bits and pieces of information were revealed in every chapter was done almost impeccably. The mystery kept me on edge the entire time and made me flip the pages like a maniac. It had my heart pounding all the way through and, like I said, I could not put it down.Of course, the heart pounding had a little something to do with the characters as well. You know how books always have that one hot guy in it? Well, Altered had four. FOUR. And they are capital H Hot. But, you know, they had great personalities and everything as well. I love how Rush made them come alive and gave each of them a distinctive voice. I love how they came together as a group and how each of them had their good and bad habits. They were just real. And yes, part of my love for this book just consisted of me shipping Anna with everyone. Like, seriously. If I had four guys like that in my basement... Wait, could anyone make that happen?Okay, though I didn't have any real issues with this book, I wish there had been a little more background to Anna's life before the break-out. I loved how little bits and pieces were revealed during the story, but I feel like I would have understood Anna (and mostly, Anna's crush on Sam) better if I had known her a little better before. But honestly, after all the heart race and heart ache I just didn't really care anymore. (And it did break my heart. Jennifer Rush, I'm not forgiving you for what you did just yet! Brilliant plot twist, but oh, be still, my broken heart.)But mostly I just loved this book for its badassness and mystery and clues and lies and betrayal and conspiracies and dang, there I go again. Seriously, if you're looking for a fun but thrilling, fast-paced, action-packed on the run story, you should definitely pick this book up. (I'm not even kidding: pick this book up. Now.) Also, if you happen to have read this book and are looking to talk to someone about it, hi, I'll be over here, swooning and freaking out until book 2 comes out.