The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2)

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series #2) - 4.5 stars(Part of a series review that can be found here!)I read the Percy Jackson series around the time I'd started studying Ancient Greek and Latin in high school, and while the grammar lessons were a nightmare, I loved learning about mythology. I wanted to know all about the gods and heroes and mythical creatures - even when that learning involved translating ancient languages.The fun and original storyline is surprisingly accurate to the original myths (and my knowledge of Greek mythology was surprisingly extended) so I really enjoyed the references and modern adaptions throughout the series. Rick Riordan's world-building is just magnificent! It's not just that I'm always interested when it comes to mythology and that these are the stories I somewhat grew up with. Anyone who knows a little something about the myths and the gods will be pleasantly surprised by Rick Riordan's retelling. And anyone who doesn't will learn a lot about it.The second book is an Odyssey-esque journey, which I read WHEN WE WERE READING THE ODYSSEY IN CLASS. True, that Odyssey took a little longer to get through than Percy Jackson's, but I was very excited to see all the references while reading. But besides that, I liked The Sea of Monsters less that the previous installment.The story starts off after a quite peaceful school year for Percy, until the monsters decide to show up again. Percy befriends Tyson, a huge homeless kid who turns out to be a Cyclops. I had to get used to Tyson a bit, but I liked him more and more as the story continued. His innocence and unconditional affection for Percy grew on me.In this book, Percy and Annabeth go on a quest to find the Golden Fleece to save the tree protecting the camp. And to stop the evil Titan lord Kronos' army from getting it first. And to rescue Grover from Polyphemus, the not so likeable cyclops that Odysseus stabbed in the eye one time. Again, there's a lot going on. I really enjoyed Percy and Annabeth's character development in this one. They were already likeable in The Lightning Thief, but by the time I finished this book, I loved them. And Clarisse grew on me as well, which I didn't think was even possible.The entire series is just one long fun ride. Rick Riordan is witty and sarcastic (my favorite combination), but also created an amazing world, fast-paced story, brilliant conversations, big time fights and truly awesome heroes! And even though I'm trying to persuade my nine-year-old brother to read them right now, I still want to read them myself just as badly. There's just something about these books that makes me laugh and filled with excitement like not very many series can.Recommended to all fans of Greek mythology, great and loveable characters and an action-packed story. Also recommended for the younger audience.