The Night Circus

The Night Circus - 3.5 starsFull review can be found on Paper Riot!If there's one word to describe the Night Circus, it would be magical. I'm sorry for the cliche, but there's just no other way to put it. I think it's safe to say that I've never read anything like it. But it wasn't love at first sight, because there were times that I had a hard time getting through it.I couldn't keep my attention all the way through. With a 500 paged novel, that's bound to happen at some point. Which, for me, was when I was about 150 pages in and had to put the book down for a few days, because I needed something lighter. I couldn't see how or when it would end, and I couldn't see through the endless descriptions anymore. But I still wanted to know how it ended, and I'm glad I picked it up again.The story is original, the descriptions are gorgeous and the world-building is enchanting and so vivid! Erin Morgenstern's writing reminded me a bit of J.K. Rowling's, which was part of the reason why I enjoyed it. It's one of the few books I've read that doesn't annoy me with its changing POVs. It focuses on several different characters ('several' as in FIFTEEN!), but because each has a certain depth to them, I didn't mind. I just wanted to know more! It wasn't that there was a lot of character development, but I just loved getting to know them.Though I really enjoyed reading about all the different characters, there was one "character" I just couldn't get enough of: Le Cirque des RĂªves itself! It was so well worked-out and so detailed and damn it, that first line "The circus arrives without warning" says it all. I wanted to know all about it! The combination of mystery, magic and enchanting writing kept me interested every time the circus was described.The story jumps from current day to future to past in a way that definitely adds to the story. There were twists and turns and ups and downs, though the plot wasn't that difficult. The circus and all its inhabitants appear and disappear around the world, and it's very mysterious in that way. The circus is only open at night (well... duh), when two extremely good magicians battle each other (though that's not as exciting as it might sound). One thing I thought that Marco and Celia's story would give me was immediate attraction and passion and "deep, magical love", but that wasn't really the case for me. I thought Marco and Celia developed a more subtle and slow romance, which I liked, because it felt real.The Night Circus is one of few adult novels that I've read and enjoyed recently, and it certainly will appeal to all kinds of readers. I especially liked it's magical aspects in combination with the darker undertone. And again, I'm so glad I decided not to give up on this. I didn't love it, because I had difficulty getting through it and I wasn't really invested in the plot. But I did LOVE the entire concept of the circus and I want to re-read this book at some point because of all the early nuances and references throughout the story that I didn't understand at first. Turns out everything falls into place later. And I do love that!Memorable quotes"People see what they wish to see. And in most cases, what they are told that they see.""We lead strange lives, chasing our dreams from place to place.""I would have written you, myself, if I could put down in words everything I want to say to you. A sea of ink would not be enough.""But you built me dreams instead.""The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not." ** Oh, you know I couldn't leave this one out. I know it's in the short summary and on the back and in the first line, but it's just SUCH a good line!