Obsidian (Lux Novel)

Obsidian - Jennifer L. Armentrout (Full review can be found on my blog, Paper Riot.)First thoughts:PHEW. I think I need to cool down. *fans self*More thoughts:Oh, I was very conflicted about this book at first. Because though I was caught up in Obisidian as soon as I started it, there were some things that set me off. Especially in the beginning, it reminded me a lot of... Twilight. Now I had my Twilight phase. I read the books, saw the movies, fangirled for a while, but that doesn't mean I like books like Twilight anymore. So obviously, the whole new girl in town meets bad boy from paranormal family thing wasn't for me. At some points I really thought it was too similar, and I was kind of annoyed.But thank goodness, Jennifer L. Armentrout is the goddess of chemistry. I don't think I've ever read a YA book with this much heat and sexual tension (apart from Vampire Academy maybe). It bursted from the pages and left me breathless. This is the kind of passion that curls your toes and leaves you wanting more. There were times I seriously had to cool down, you guys, it was THAT good. And intense. A little explosive at times. Phew. *fans self*Along with the chemistry, the characters were also strong and very well worked out. Oh, you all know how I love me a strong heroine, and Katy is definitely one to be remembered. Because even though she is kind of quiet (at least, that's what she says), I wouldn't try to make her mad. I liked her quirkiness and how she wasn't a pushover (Bella Swan, anyone?). The fact that she was a book blogger definitely made for some fun references, though it made me feel a bit like the book was meant for book bloggers only.Daemon is terrible, but he's the kind of terrible you can't help but fall for. I don't think I have ever loved being frustrated by a character more. The love/hate relationship he and Katy had was definitely one of the better I have ever read about. Sometimes I want cutesy romances, but I like bitching and bickering all the same, because there is just so much PASSION. And this was just... okay. I think you got it now. I'm glad this book had Dee to calm things down a little. She was just a cute, bubbly character (actually, she reminded me a bit of a puppy) and I couldn't help but love her.Another thing I liked the focus on aliens, because next to all the vampires, werewolves, warlocks, shadowhunters and what not, I haven't read many books about aliens. It's definitely something I'd like to see more of in YA, and I thought the concept of light and dark in this book was very interesting. I would have liked to see a little more of it, which is part of the reason I'm excited to pick up the next book in this series. (And because of the TENSION.) So yes, despite the fact that this book was not flawless, I couldn't help but feel a little overwhelmed after finishing. I really enjoyed it and honestly, I'm a little speechless. In a good, very good way.