City of Bones: Mortal Instruments, Book 1

City of Bones - Cassandra Clare 4 stars: liked itFull review can be found here!Reading process*Page 1-250: Well, this is pretty good.Page 250-350: A little slower than before.Page 350-470: WHAT. IS. HAPPENING.Page 470-480: Cassandra Clare, what are you doing to me?!*The page numbers may or may not be accurate.I've been recommended The Mortal Instruments series many times - I know many people are raving about it - but I've never really felt the urge to get into these books. I haven't read many books about demons before and I didn't expect to like it that much. But when I came across City of Bones in a second-hand bookstore for just a few euros, well, I couldn't just leave it there. And admittedly, I only started to read it after I saw the trailer. But I'm glad I did!The world-building was really good. At first I felt like I was thrown into a world that I had no idea what to think of. No idea what to expect of, either. Our main character Clary experiences the same thing. She thinks she's a normal girl, but when she encounters a few Shadowhunters in a club, she can see them when she's not supposed to. She meets the world of Shadowhunters, Downworlders and demons, and finds out she has a strange connection to that world.Honestly, I was a bit overwhelmed by everything that was happening, because I didn't really get how the world was built at first. But even though I didn't like it from the start, this book is so fast-paced and action-packed (from the very first chapter) that I couldn't put it down either. And the world grew on me. Especially towards the end I wanted to know more and more. I even liked reading the parts that explained the Shadowhunters' history and Clary's hidden past more than the action-packed scenes. (I wasn't as invested in some of the action scenes. I really didn't like a certain part, where Simon sort of gets in trouble. It was meh.)Most characters were intruiging. I really liked Clary as a character. Though there were a few damsel-in-distress moments, she was strong-willed and didn't let other people tell her what to do. I think she handled all the revelations concerning her (mother's) past really well, and she came to terms with the fact that her life isn't what she thought it was in a way I would never be able to.However, it was a bit annoying she didn't see that Simon was in obviously in love with her. Seriously, it couldn't have been more obvious and she should've noticed. I did feel sorry for him. I had a love-hate relationship with both Alec and Isabelle. I didn't really like them, but their lives were very interesting. And Jace... of course I loved Jace. He's strong, he's smart, he's sarcastic 99% of the time. And behind his facade is an emotionally scarred boy, which made him really interesting. I liked that there were some moments where we got to see Jace's vision of the world.Cassandra Clare's writing is fast-paced and steady. She doesn't waste a lot of time on endless descriptions and she doesn't let Clary 's thoughts take over the action. I love the sarcastic comments and witty dialogues. I didn't mind the slow parts at all (because those were usually the parts where Idris was explained). There were plenty of twists and turns, and though I sort of saw some of them coming, there were moments that truly shocked me. (There might have been a few "WHAT?!"s toward the end.)For the first few hundred pages I wasn't as emotionally invested as (apparently) many other people are, but the last hundred sure made up for that. I became more intrigued by the story as I kept on reading and I do want to continue reading these series. Because I really, truly hated the end. Cassandra Clare, what did you do to my heart?! I seriously considered throwing my book against the wall! I can only hope this revelation will be proved wrong in the next installment.