The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson & the Olympians)

The Last Olympian  - Rick Riordan 5 stars(Part of a series review that can be found here!)I read the Percy Jackson series around the time I'd started studying Ancient Greek and Latin in high school, and while the grammar lessons were a nightmare, I loved learning about mythology. I wanted to know all about the gods and heroes and mythical creatures - even when that learning involved translating ancient languages.The fun and original storyline is surprisingly accurate to the original myths (and my knowledge of Greek mythology was surprisingly extended) so I really enjoyed the references and modern adaptions throughout the series. Rick Riordan's world-building is just magnificent! It's not just that I'm always interested when it comes to mythology and that these are the stories I somewhat grew up with. Anyone who knows a little something about the myths and the gods will be pleasantly surprised by Rick Riordan's retelling. And anyone who doesn't will learn a lot about it.And man, the last book is just one long action scene. Yes, there were some quiet moments, but most of it was the gigantic battle taking place in New York. I don't know why, but I have a thing for epic battles (like the Battle of Hogwarts was my favorite part of Deathly Hallows, and maybe even of the entire Harry Potter series).I love how there's a huge build-up to this final scenes, and then everything just FALLS APART. The differences between right and wrong are clear-cut, the heroes of Camp Half-Blood do anything to protect the people they love, and wooo, I loved the battle conversations. (Every time a villain decides to 'kill their enemy/our hero slowly', that just means time for some brilliant and sarcastic comments!)But I was most pleased with the ending. I didn't know how Rick Riordan would bring these series to a worthy end, but he sure as hell did. The development of the characters and mostly Percy's growth throughout the series leads to an amazing ending, and I couldn't have thought of a better outcome of the prophecy. I was actually a little stunned.The entire series is just one long fun ride. Rick Riordan is witty and sarcastic (my favorite combination), but also created an amazing world, fast-paced story, brilliant conversations, big time fights and truly awesome heroes! And even though I'm trying to persuade my nine-year-old brother to read them right now, I still want to read them myself just as badly. There's just something about these books that makes me laugh and filled with excitement like not very many series can.Recommended to all fans of Greek mythology, great and loveable characters and an action-packed story. Also recommended for the younger audience.